For now, I am just starting my LAST semester of grad school. Never thought I'd make it to the day I'd even get to say that! What an incredible journey it has been! This semester consists mainly of clinical practicum. In the Fall semester, we began our 8-week internships at places other than our clinic at school. I received the opportunity to intern at a care facility for children of all ages with special needs. It was an amazing experience! I absolutely fell in in love with the kids there. They have such inspiring stories and I realized during my time with them that my job really enables them to tell those stories so that they can inspire others. It was a very rewarding experience. The second half of the semester, I served as an intern at an elementary school that housed many special needs classes as well. This was challenging because this school, and pretty much any school these days, has so many children who need speech and/or language therapy services that you cannot do individual therapy. You have to group multiple kids in each time slot. Wow. Group therapy sessions every 30 minutes from 8:30-3 is definitely a test of your behavioral management skills, patience, and sanity... haha! I learned so much about managing multiple goals and children in one session, which is sure to come in handy in my life! I got to work with many different disorders as well, which was enriching to my clinical experience. Next week, I begin my 3rd internship at a hospital, so I'll get to experience the medical aspect of speech-language pathology. It'll be interesting to not be working with kids, but I'm looking forward to learning a lot!
During all 16 weeks of the semester, we took one class (TBI) plus forum. Needless to say, finals week was extremely nice in December. :-) One final and home I went for Christmas! It has been a relaxing break for me, although comprehensive exams and Praxis are looming over my head. They are scheduled for April and they are our last big obstacles in becoming licensed SLPs! Studying has only just begun for those bad boys... not excited for that. That's pretty much what I've been up to! Christmas with my family was great and I got to be a bridesmaid in the wedding of two of my good friends on New Years Day! It was a fabulous wedding and they are going to have a beautiful life together.
Onto the final semester... wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment