Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Days

When the meteorologists first started predicting a major winter storm, I didn't really think anything of it. There is usually at least one every year, so I was expecting a few inches of snow, on top of some ice. Same old, same old. Then they changed the winter weather warning to a blizzard warning, and I was still skeptical. I missed out on the Christmas Eve '09 blizzard because I was at home with my family in SE Oklahoma where we saw a few snowflakes fall and quickly melt into the ground. Growing up there was not fun during the winters because when the rest of the state was covered in snow, and everyone else declared snow days, the SE corner would usually be barely affected (if at all) and I would have to go to school. No fun! There were a few snow days here and there but they were few and far between. So, there I was with this blizzard warning, not understanding the severity of the Christmas Eve blizzard it was being compared to. Now... I know. I am in the midst of my first real blizzard.


People in the North, especially Northeast, may think this is trivial compared to what they are used to, but this is NOT what Oklahomans are used to. So pardon us if we freak out a little and close down our cities for a couple of days! Even the semi-trucks are getting stuck everywhere. If those big, heavy things can't make it, then there is no hope for my measly Mustang. I don't think she's going anywhere for awhile anyway...


Needless to say, school has been cancelled... and probably will be tomorrow as well. That means I am not to go to my hospital rotation, as I would just be a liability for the hospital. I guess I can cope with a snow day... ;-)

For now, I should probably utilize my free day to study for comps... sigh. Everyone stay at home today and keep warm! Happy Snow Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones