Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wet Nails

This post may have some typing errors evident, as I am waiting on my most recent coat of nail polish to dry. As I'm looking down at my nails, I realize that painting them really puts me in a better mood. I feel proud of my nails, which encourages me to fix up the rest of myself, which makes me feel prettier, which increases my self-confidence, which causes me to carry myself better, and all in all just makes my whole day a whole lot better. It's amazing how the little things can change your outlook in an instant.

While the finished nails make me happy, I hate waiting on them to dry. That's when I can't do anything except think (with the exception of me typing this post today!). I hate to just let my mind wander. I engulf myself with worry, doubt, and anxiousness. It is never a pretty picture. I wonder if there will ever be a day where I won't have this sinking feeling in my stomach every time I think about the future. So many unknowns. I must force myself to remember that even though I don't know what will happen, I can't lose faith that it will all be okay. It will. Thank goodness there are people in my life that remind me of that almost daily!

Lately, I have been able to spend time with many dear friends from college. I miss those days of just hanging out and making memories, and in between all the fun, going to class. I went to class every day, don't get me wrong, but what I remember the most isn't about the classes or professors that I had. It is about the time I spent experiencing life and the people I shared it with. The late night trips to IHOP. The random road trips to stargaze or watch the sun come up over the mountains. The accountability of people who knew you better than you knew yourself. Walking in the cemetery at 6 am. The overwhelming support of people who cared about me anytime I needed it. The sleepovers. The secret societies and girl talk. Football games and the roller coaster of emotions involved. The forts built in the living room. The evil cat my roommates just had to have. The church family that got me through my transition from small town to big city, and from teenage girl to young woman. The camping trips tainted by thunderstorms. The sisterhood. Worshipping God under the stars until my eyes could barely stay open. Laughing so hard my abdomen hurt for the next three days. This is what I remember. And I wouldn't change a thing. People come into my life and go out of my life, but the memories will always be here, and they will always make me smile.

Looks like the nails are dry. Time to halt my thoughts before I write a novel. I think I'll blog every time I'm waiting for my nail polish to dry... haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones