March 2011
- I ended my hospital rotation and began my final rotation back at school where I got to work with three adults and do speech evaluations on some kids. I couldn't have asked for a better final rotation! Loved working with the stroke victims on a more personal and regular basis rather than at the hospital where you only see them for a short period of time and they leave. This rotation was only two days a week so I had some extra time to study for our comprehensive examination, which was nice!
- I spent Spring Break studying for Comps and hanging out with two of my old roomies and dear friends! We had group dinners, hilarious game nights, went to the zoo, and even painted pottery. It was low key and I enjoyed being able to relax with wonderful company.
- I spent many late nights at IHOP studying. I have a pretty great boyfriend who would come with me and sit for hours, even when he didn't have any studying to do. He was a fantastic support system for me through a very stressful time in my life! Needless to say, I think I got him addicted to iced coffee.
- I applied for jobs in my "spare time." Mainly at schools, because I was certain that I wanted to work with children. I had some interviews and kind of got used to the process.
April 2011
- Took my comprehensive examinations and PASSED. In fact, my entire class passed. What a relief that was! After that, the rest of grad school didn't seem so bad. I celebrated with my classmates that night in Bricktown. Everyone had a renewed spirit after checking that exam off the list! It was our last big obstacle before graduation! We had to take our national certification test later in the month, but if we could pass Comps, we were confident that Praxis would be a piece of cake. It wasn't that much easier if you ask me, but I still passed. :-)
- Kept on applying and interviewing with different school districts. I had my eye on one district that I did my internship with and thought it would be such a great opportunity to work there. However, they had zero openings. My supervisor from the school where I was an intern told me to go to the job fair anyway and talk with her boss. I did, and turns out they did have an opening. I immediately applied and just couldn't quit thinking about that school district. That was the first job that I knew I really wanted... and a few weeks later, I got it. ;-) Praise God! I am so excited!
- Wrapped up grad school. Wrote my last evaluation and progress reports for the patients I had. Began gearing up for graduation.
May 2011
- Took my very last final EVER! Woo-hoo!
- Went to a graduation banquet with my class and our faculty
- Graduated!!! Our graduation was chaotic beyond belief, but we made it there! OU tried to have the College of Allied Health Convocation in a tiny auditorium. With over 300 graduates coming from that college, that wasn't a smart move. Essentially, the graduates had no place to sit, many family members had no place to sit, and some even had to leave. The graduates just walked across stage, got their diploma, and left the building with their families afterward. I had auditioned to lead the singing of the OU Chant, so I stayed. But by the time I sang, only a few families and the faculty members were the only ones there! Oh well, I still got to sing. My entire family was there (minus one brother-in-law) and Keith's parents came also.
- Started looking for a new place to live and it took me a few weeks to discover the place I'm in now. It's the first time I've ever lived alone, but I have a neighbor just down the sidewalk who happens to be my boyfriend. :-) Living alone isn't so bad if that's the case!
- Went home for a week and watched my youngest niece debut in her first dance recital! She did such a great job!
- Did tons of paperwork for licensure and the new job
June 2011
- Packed up and moved to my new apartment. Still trying to settle in! I have a lot of room- one extra bedroom, bathroom, and closet! Visitors welcome! My parents came up to help and bought me a graduation present- a couch and loveseat set!
- Took a trip to Grand Lake with some of my best friends and enjoyed the summer sun! The water felt perfect!
- Went to my favorite water park a few times. Lost my tube going down one of the big slides one day and nearly had a heart attack! Haven't revisited that slide since.
- Helped Keith move- parents came up again for that! Loved getting to see them so much!
- Completed more paper work for my job. Made a lot of grown-up decisions like which health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans I wanted. Now to just start making the money!
And right now, on this last day of June, I am packing because in just two days I am going to my favorite place in the entire world: Destin, FL! It's been a few years since I was there last but I haven't laid eyes on a more beautiful beach than Destin. It is paradise! I'm so excited to spend the 4th of July there with some of my greatest friends!
Hope you all are having a wonderful, Vitamin D filled summer as well!

No comments:
Post a Comment