Friday, November 6, 2009

Patience is a Virtue

My roommates and I host a weekly bible study at our apartment on Tuesday nights. We have been going through the fruits of the spirit and this week our selected fruit was patience. This is something that I struggle with heavily. I find myself trying to make things happen on my own and it never works out. I am finding it really difficult to remain content in where God has placed me at this point in my life. Every day is a battle and I am weak. I am surrounded by things I think I want, things that the world tells me I need to be important or successful. I do want them, and I strive for them, ignoring what matters the most in this life. I am selfish. I am jealous. I am a failure. I am nothing that is good at all. But what I've come to realize is that it's okay.
I have a Savior who wants to walk through life with me, bear my burdens, and comfort me when the world tells me I'm not good enough. Though I'll never fully comprehend this love, I am so very glad that I've found it and can rest in it. Even when things aren't going my way, I find a sense of peace in knowing that my God has plans that are far greater than my own. I just have to trust Him, and wait for Him. He will provide for me everything I need. I can't even begin to imagine what my life would be like right now if I didn't have this hope. Yet, I take it for granted. I want what I want, right now. Why can't I just stay out of the way and let God do what He wants, when He wants? That's what will happen anyway. So why am I trying to change things? If I were God, I would be really annoyed by me...
So what I'm learning is that impatience is worthless. It gets you absolutely nowhere. But if you can just try to be patient, keep your eyes on Christ, and don't worry about what the world says or does, then you'll find that you'll be blessed beyond what you expect. :)

Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.
Isaiah 64:4

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have a good thing going here! I really enjoyed reading your blog!!!
    You are welcome to follow my blog!!! You may really enjoy it as well! :)

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones